Felt Rosette Wreath

So, I finally caved and joined Pinterest.  It’s cool- I’ve really been meaning to devote more of my life to the internet these days.

So far, the only thing I’ve pinned are wreaths… you can check them out here.  I’m determined to not let the holidays pass me by before I make a couple- there are so many great ideas out there!  I have a stash of felt, so I honed in on the yellow rosebud one , but I also loved this one too. 

After a couple of hours, here’s what I ended up with:

Want to make one?  Or just see how to make the rosettes?  Okay. 

So here’s how to make the little rosettes.  First, cut a circle out of felt.  I made my biggest one about 4″ in diameter, and made several smaller than that too.  You can use a cup or a cd to help you draw a perfect circle, but I actually like it not perfect- I think it ends up giving the flowers a little more character once they’re all done.

Next, spiral-cut your circle about 1/2″ thick.

It should look like this when you’re done.

Then, starting on the end that was the center of your circle, begin rolling it upon itself.  Use a glue gun here and there to help keep it all together.

How cute is that!?!  I seriously had so much fun making these felt rosettes, in my head I was going through all the things I want to attach them to- barrettes, a cuff bracelet, headband, shoes…. 

I made a bunch in mustard-orange, heather grey, and a medium brown.

So now, get your wreath ready… I used an 11″ foam circle from Michael’s.  I wrapped it with 2″ wide strips of natural muslin.

I used a few straight pins in the back to keep the muslin nice and tight.

Next, arrange the rosettes on the wreath however you like.  I should’ve stopped here- I love how it looks…

But no.  I kept going….

…And going.  I don’t know what happened, but glitter pom-poms took over for a few minutes.  I took several off but once your hot glue dries, good luck getting anything off!  Just don’t be like me… know when to say no.

Anyway,  I still really like it- it’s hanging in our living room and is the perfect amount of “Fall” to make me feel a little cozy when I walk by.  It’s understated, but still makes a small statement.  Well, I think it does but that could be just because I slaved over it for 2 hours! 

 Hope you’re inspired to create something Fall-ish!

-Erin

Dyeing For Fun

On a recent crafty evening, too lazy to take out my sewing machine, I stumbled upon these:

I think I purchased these for Erin’s baby-shower (3+ years ago) thinking we would tie-dye onesies at the party.  It didn’t happen.   The colors are bright, and not really ones that I would choose for serious dyeing, so I decided to just play around with them.  I had a few sacrifical  pieces of clothing that were either stained or ill fitting…

 

and I went to work, loosely following Dana’s tutorial.

I mixed up one batch of fushia, one teal/fushia combo, and one kelly green/teal/yellow mixture.  The results were, um, interesting.

 Holy fushia!  I re-dyed in yellow, hoping that the color would turn more peachy-

Not good, not good.   Next?

Green enough for ya?  

And now for the big finale…

and

Okay, I can work with these.  

After a second wash, the indigo-purple calmed down a bit.  Banana stain be gone!

And my knit v-neck, was still uncomfortable and strange, even in purple.  I turned it into this in about 30 minutes. 

You see how the bottom of the shirt became a folded over waistband?  And the raw edge on the bottom was spruced up with some pretty satin bias tape that I had on hand.  Luckily my little Avery loves purple!

Overall this experimental project was successful.  I learned a bit about the process of dyeing fabric, and would do it again.  Though next time I would start with colors that I was psyched about, and avoid mixing them up on my own.  Thanks for viewing!

-Caroline

DIY wall art

Since we bought our house 3 1/2 years ago, I’ve been staring at these two ugly vents over our fireplace:

I don’t know really what they do exactly… I’ve never felt air coming out of them.  I suppose they help to take air into the chimney when there is a fire in the fireplace?  Anyway… they’re just ugly. 

A couple of years ago I bought two of these Ikea frames- with the intention of finding a couple of cool prints to go in them:

They sat around for a long time, and after many searches on etsy for the perfect print, I kind of gave up and forgot how much I hated the ugly vents.  But, recently the urge hit me to cover them.  STAT! 

So, I took a bit of inspiration from the September cover of Martha  and got to work.

I decided to piece together a bunch of random fabrics in the same (general) color family to make an apple and a pear. 

I started with a shape that I cut from cardstock.  Here’s my pear:

Then, I cut random widths of my fabrics and sewed them together:

I ironed my seams out, and then ironed some lightweight interfacing to the back.  Then, using my cardstock cut-out, I traced the pear onto the back, and cut it out!

 

It was missing something (besides the stem- but we’ll get to that).  So, I topstitched some gold thread on a few of the seams…

Next, I used a little fabric glue on the back of the pear, and placed it on a square of natural muslin.  I had some brown leather on hand and made a stem, and glued that to the muslin as well.

Then, I put it in the frame… and got a couple of nails and a hammer:

And that’s it!

This was an enjoyable project to make that just sort of came together as I sewed. 

I’m not married to these though, and I can see in the winter maybe piecing together a pine cone, or a tree… etc.  It was fun to rifle through my fabric stash and see what I had that inspired me.

  I especially like that the vents are now out of sight!  Goodbye ugly! 

-Erin

**don’t worry, I’ll be removing these frames when we DO have a fire going… because, yeah… the vents probably have a legit purpose.