I titled this post ‘Washi #1’ because there will be a #2. And a #3. Aaaaannnd probably a #4.
Really. I love it that much!
If you follow any action in sewing-blog land, you’ll have seen many Washi dressses and tunics floating around. It’s a thoughtful pattern created by Rae. Rae has some great patterns and tutorials out there- I’ve learned a LOT from her site, so it was no question that I’d give this pattern a try. The back of the dress/tunic has several rows of shirring that help to keep the bodice fitting comfortable, yet snug at the same time….the skirt piece is pleated….and I’m convinced this would look good on anyone.
I especially loved her second (who didn’t?) which has a lovely scooped out neckline. I took her advice and cut about 1″ more into the pattern and shaped it a bit wider at the bottom to give it a fuller U shape. I lengthened my bodice 1″ since I’m tall (as in 5’11” kind of tall)… I’m so glad i did- it pretty much fits perfectly. I also lengthened my skirt piece by a good 1 1/2 ” to hit right where I wanted it to. Better to give yourself a little wiggle room if you’re not sure…I added 2 1/2 inches to the pattern and then cut about an inch off before I hemmed it.
P.S., if you think you need to lengthen your bodice too, add the inch on the back piece above the highest shirring lines… the bottom shirring line should be right at the seam where the bodice meets the skirt. It seemed to work out nicely for me anyway.
My fabric choice is one I’m super happy with. It’s Marqueterie in Berry from Pat Bravo’s Indie line. I don’t own a whole lot of floral in my wardrobe, so I wasn’t too sure when I ordered it, but it spoke to me, so I went with it and crossed my fingers. I think it’s fallish, but at the same time i think the colors lend themselves to any season. Oh, I also cut my fabric pieces out oppostie than way Rae suggests, just because I liked the flowery parts to go across my body instead of up and down, just perferred it that way when I took a long look at it.
Oh, and don’t get ahead of yourself- make a muslin to make sure it’ll fit before you cut into your nice fabric. All you need to do is cut the bodice out and sew the bust darts…. depending on your chest size, you may need to do an FBA or SBA (as in a full or small bust adjustment). I did not have to make any adjustments… but I’m still nursing. Believe me when i tell you I will be making an SBA on this pattern when i stop! Bye, bye boobage….
I would say the ONLY thing I would change next time around is the armholes, which for me and my somewhat broad upper-body, fit just a little too snug- I’ll blame that on my years of competetive (update: *cough*…highschool) swimming growing up- not the pattern! I’ll probably cut into the armholes an extra 1/2″ next time around. No biggie. I’m still gonna wear the heck out of this.
It’s so satisfying to sew for ME! I’m still somewhat of a novice sewer (got 2 1/2 years of practice under my belt)… so if I can make one of these, so can you. After the last couple of dresses for Ell got hung up in the closet- probably for good- it was really nice to focus on my own wardrobe… which is now hurting just a little bit less thanks to this shirt. :)
I am envisioning a few more… one with long sleeves (Rae is working on that, yay!), A dress version, a mini version… yup, I said mini…. check out Kristin and Rae’s MINI Washi dresses for their girls…. riDONKulous! The possibilities are endless, which is the mark of such a great pattern- props to Rae for perfecting the design and sharing it with all of us who love to sew!