Sometimes I buy patterns on impulse and then lose interest on the actual sewing of them. This was one of those patterns. But then I saw Rachel’s version, and decided to give it a go while ALL.THE.KIDS napped!
My first impression as I was sewing it? Looks like a Geranium, walks like a Geranium! (Did I really need to make another flutter sleeve dress for this kid? No. No I did not…)
BUT, I started to really like it more as I sewed- the curved bodice is different and sort of casual. There is no closure at the back- which I also really liked since it’s so easy to slip on. Also, it makes it a quicker sew.
I used an airy swiss dot fabric from Joann, and wish I’d bought more of the stuff- it’s light and dreamy.
Two things I noticed about the pattern that I’ll pass on to you: First, the length seemed way too short on Ellery- just looking at the pattern piece, I could see that, so I cut the length to the size 7 while keeping the rest of the pattern a size 6. I almost wish I had gone a little longer, because it’s definitely cutting it close to too short.
The hem facing is a nice touch, and I think a great way to play around with a contrasting fabric. I used a floral lawn cotton from ye olde stash.
The other thing, is the finishing of the arm holes. To finish them, you are supposed to clip the seam allowance of each arm hole separately- the outer bodice and the bodice lining. Then, you iron in the arm holes, fit them together, and topstitch around the edge. This was the second pattern I’d made recently that finished them this way (Coco’s peplum, being the first I’d done like this), and I’m just not a fan of this technique- though I did follow her instructions here. Heidi did add a tutorial a few weeks ago on her blog showing how to finish in a different way (Rae has a great video that demonstrates this- she calls it the “sausage step”!), and I recommend you try that way. I’m making a second babydoll as we speak, and went that route this time- I much prefer it!
My baby loves it!